South Pole turning into waste dump
Berlin: The South Pole is turning into a waste dump, with leftovers from experimental set-ups slowly decomposing. Mounds of rubbish, discarded oil cans, car batteries and some dangerous chemicals litter the South Pole, according to a report.
"We have a genuine waste problem in the Antarctic," says Hans-Ulrich Peter of the University Jena, Germany, who co-wrote the report.
Scientists are most concerned about King George Island, about 120 km off the Antarctic. It is there, more precisely on the Fildes Peninsula, where the ecologist has been doing research on a regular basis since 1983 and meticulously documented the changes in the environment.
"The Fildes Peninsula is one of the largest ice-free areas of the Antarctic with a relatively high degree of biodiversity," Peter says.
University Jena ecologists noticed that during the last 30 years, not only can global climate change be gravely felt in the Antarctic, natural life is equally threatened by the influence of human beings on the local environment of the south polar region, according to a Jena statement.
"Due to the extreme climatic conditions, the sensitive vegetation only recovers very slowly," Christina Braun, member of Peter`s team, says.
She has visited King George Island seven times already for research purposes.
"Vehicle tracks sometimes remain there for decades," she explained, adding that the vegetation is not only damaged by vehicles and building work.
According to Braun, the unique flora of the Antarctic is equally threatened by `imported` plants. "Some years ago, we found some non-native plants near the Russian research station Bellingshausen."
Insects and other animal and plant species inadvertently imported by participants of expedition present dangers for the ecosystem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read