Surfer knocked unconscious by whale at Bondi Beach
Zee Media Bureau
Sydney: A surfer felt lucky to be alive after he had been knocked unconscious by a whale on Sunday morning while surfing at Bondi Beach in Sydney.
Bishan Rajapakse, a 38-year-old doctor was surfing with a friend when a big whale surfaced near him around 10:30am.
Dr Rajapakse said, the last thing he remembers before waking up on the beach was saying “Hey, how’s it going?” to the whale, believed to be a southern white, as it swam near him and other surfers, the Sydney Morning Herald said.
“The whale actually moved pretty quickly so I guess it made me cautious to see what could happen,” he said.
He further added, “I know it’s better to look at them from afar but it’s pretty hard to move away from that temptation because I guess the whale was looking so placid.”
He is being treated in St Vincent’s Hospital for head and shoulder injuries.
Lifeguard Anthony ‘Harries’ Carroll said: “The whale has lifted its tail and it’s come down and struck the (surfer) on the head and knocked him out.”
Mr Carroll said the force of the impact had punched a “large-sized ding” in Dr Rajapakse’s surfboard.
“This could have been a major incident, a fatality, so for this guy to walk away with minimal injuries ... he’s probably the luckiest emergency doctor to end up in emergency,” he said.
New South Wales Ambulance Service spokesman Adam Wallace says the incident was an unusual one for paramedics.
“They do experience a lot of things in their role but I will suggest that whales at Bondi Beach are not the sort of thing that paramedics see everyday,” he said.
Kristie Sky, who treated Rajapakse at the scene, told ABC: “I’ve been a paramedic for 12 years and this is by far the most interesting case and way out that I`ve ever done.”
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes