Tomb of Mayan queen found in Guatemala
Guatemala City: The tomb of a powerful seventh-century Maya queen was discovered at the El Peru-Waka site in the northwestern Guatemalan province of Peten, archaeologists said Wednesday.
The co-director of the expedition, US archaeologist David Freidel, called the tomb "the most important find" of his 43-years working in Guatemala.
K`abel was the wife of King K`inich Bahlam II, but her title, Kalomt`e, or Supreme Warrior, indicates she had greater authority than her spouse, Freidel said.
The couple ruled the Wak kingdom for at least 20 years in the late seventh century.
K`abel is depicted on a piece from El Peru-Waka, Stela 34, now on exhibit in the US at Cleveland Art Museum.
The excavations that uncovered K`abel`s tomb were directed by Mexican-born US scholar Olivia Navarro-Farr and Griselda Perez Robles, former director of prehistoric monuments with Guatemala`s National Institute of Anthropology and History.
The tomb was detected June 9 inside the structure known as M13-1, Navarro-Farr told EFE.
Work at the El Peru-Waka site, located inside the Maya Biosphere Reserve, began in 2003 and the current effort is sponsored by the Foundation for the Cultural and Natural Patrimony of Guatemala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam