Tool to estimate rooftop solar power launched
New Delhi: The Energy and Resource Institute Wednesday launched the world`s first tool named "WEB-GIS" to estimate the rooftop solar power potential for Indian solar cities, said an institute official.
The main objective of the initiative is to develop a high performing and flexible WEB-GIS tool to estimate the rooftop solar power potential in cities.
Chandigarh will be the first city where the tool will be launched followed by others.
Speaking on the occasion, Leena Srivastava, vice chancellor of TERI University and director of the institute, said solar energy is revolutionising the world and countries are investing in this sector because it is beneficial to the environment and also saves energy costs.
"India has to face the challenges thrown up by this sector by investing in innovations while creating the right environment for policy regulatory frameworks," Srivastava said.
"We need coping strategies to deal with erratic and ineffective power systems with enabling mechanisms," she added.
The initiative is supported by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE).
According to the ministry, the solar city aims at minimum 10 percent reduction in projected demand of conventional energy at the end of five years through a combination of enhancing supply from renewable energy sources in the city and energy efficiency measures.
The basic aim is to motivate the local governments to adopt renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?