Why trees don’t grow taller than 100 metres
Washington: The mathematical explanation for the phenomena – the taller the tree, the smaller its leaves – also sets a limit on how tall trees can grow, researchers say.
For the study, Kaare Jensen from Harvard University and Maciej Zwieniecki from the University of California, Davis, compared 1925 tree species with leaves ranging from a few millimetres to over 1 metre long and found that leaf size varied most in comparatively short trees.
According to Jensen, the explanation lies in the plant’s circulatory system – sugars produced in leaves diffuse through a network of tube-shaped cells called the phloem. Sugars accelerate as they move, so the bigger the leaves the faster they reach the rest of the plant.
However, the phloem in stems, branches and the trunk acts as a bottleneck. There comes a point when it becomes a waste of energy for leaves to grow any taller, New Scientist reported.
Tall trees hit this limit when their leaves are still small because sugars have to move through so much trunk to get to the roots, thereby creating a bigger bottleneck.
This equation describing the relationship shows that as trees get taller unusually large or small leaves both cease to be viable, the range of leaf size narrows and at around 100 m tall the upper limit matches the lower limit.
The study has been published in the journal Physical Review Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened