Wind projects can adversely impact environment: CSE report
Pune: Noting that forest land was being acquired by the wind power industry on a larger scale, an environment report has warned that this could have an adverse impact on the local ecology.
Construction of roads in forest areas can cause "liner fragmentation" resulting in soil erosion and also hindering migration of animals, the report prepared by Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), points out.
Underlining the necessity of a mandatory environmental impact assessment (EAI), the study states that the demand for forest land for wind power projects had increased considerably during the last seven year with Maharashtra accounting for 31 per cent of the allotted land.
According to the study, wind projects set up on forest land and hilly areas can have a greater impact on water resources and ecology as compared to those in plains.
Those projects situated near human settlement can have disturbing effect on the population with the noise and shadow flicker from the commercial wind turbines with a height of 100-150 meters.
Among animals, bats can be affected because of the changing air pressure around wind turbines, the report states.
Documenting environmental impact of wind projects in various parts of the country, it has also recommended sharing of benefits with the local population including the first right to the power generated by wind energy projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead