WWF Russia seeks foster parents for 500 polar bears
Moscow: Under a new initiative by WWF Russia, individuals and companies can become a foster parent of a polar bear for a one-time contribution of 30,000 rubles (about $1,000).
The money will be spent on conservation, protection and research of wild polar bears in the Russian Arctic, home to about 5,000-6,000 white bears or about a quarter of the worldwide polar bear population. Foster parents will receive a certificate and a polar bear statuette.
The campaign will begin November 24. WWF Russia estimates that about 500 polar bears will get "foster parents" by the end of 2012.
The money will be directed to support the "Bear Patrol" programme, under which groups of local residents patrol and prevent poaching at about 30 known polar bear habitats, including the Far Eastern Chukotka Peninsula, Dikson Island in the Kara Sea, Vaygach Island in the Arctic Ocean and Kolguyev Island in the Barents Sea.
"In the past year the number of reports about conflicts between humans and polar bears has almost tripled. Encounters between bears and human can be deadly for humans, but more often the animal dies as a result," a WWF Russia coordinator for Arctic conservation projects Mikhail Stishov said.
About 100 individuals and 120 companies took part in a similar campaign to foster parent an Amur tiger for 25,000 rubles.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'