BJD `worker` arrested for attacking Congress activist
Cuttack: Police Thursday arrested a person allegedly belonging to BJD for attacking a Congress supporter in Bidanasi village under Bidanasi police station.
A case has been registered against the person identified as Ranjan Behera (50) for allegedly attacking Swetapriya Swain, who later filed a complaint against him, local police inspector Sanjay Kumar Patnaik said.
Congress candidate for Cuttack-Barabati Assembly seat Md Moqim accompanied Swain to the police station, after he was released from a local hospital after preliminary treatment, party sources said.
BJD candidate and sitting MLA of the city Debashis Samantray, however, denied any of his party worker`s involvement in the incident and alleged that it was the outcome of an internal bickering within Congress party.
It may be mentioned that Ranjan had unsuccessfully contested in the city civic body elections held in February as an Independent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet