BJD `worker` arrested for attacking Congress activist
Cuttack: Police Thursday arrested a person allegedly belonging to BJD for attacking a Congress supporter in Bidanasi village under Bidanasi police station.
A case has been registered against the person identified as Ranjan Behera (50) for allegedly attacking Swetapriya Swain, who later filed a complaint against him, local police inspector Sanjay Kumar Patnaik said.
Congress candidate for Cuttack-Barabati Assembly seat Md Moqim accompanied Swain to the police station, after he was released from a local hospital after preliminary treatment, party sources said.
BJD candidate and sitting MLA of the city Debashis Samantray, however, denied any of his party worker`s involvement in the incident and alleged that it was the outcome of an internal bickering within Congress party.
It may be mentioned that Ranjan had unsuccessfully contested in the city civic body elections held in February as an Independent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader