Election observer dead in Manipur
Imphal: Manipur election observer Chandra Bhanu, an IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, has died of cardiac arrest, officials said.
A 1993 batch officer, Bhanu, who was sent by the Election Commission as an observer of Inner Manipur Lok Sabha constituency, died while returning to the state capital from border town of Moreh yesterday.
He was 50.
Saurath Bhauthuri, a West Bengal cadre IAS officer, will replace him.
Officials said post-mortem has been conducted on Bhanu`s body which will later be sent to his home state.
Inner Manipur parliamentary constituency will go to polls on April 17.
The state has two parliamentary constituencies - Inner Manipur (Valley districts) and Outer Manipur (Hill districts).
Election to Outer Manipur was held on April 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what