LS polls: Moderate turnout in Madhya Pradesh; poll boycott in some villages
Bhopal: A moderate 54.41 per cent polling was recorded on Thursday in Madhya Pradesh for ten Lok Sabha seats amid rains, intense heat conditions and poll boycott in some villages.
Union Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia of Congress and state BJP President Narendra Singh Tomar were among prominent candidates whose fate was locked in EVMs in the second phase where voting was largely peaceful.
This year`s turnout was 8.20 per cent higher than the 2009 Lok Sabha polls when the figure was 46.21, election office sources said.
The maximum polling was recorded in Rajgarh (63.40%) while the lowest in Bhind-SC (45.16%), they said.
Voters in some villages spread across a few constituencies boycotted polling to highlight lack of development in their areas and for not getting compensation from the government for their damaged crops.
In Guna, where Scindia is pitted against BJP`s Jaibhan Singh Pawaiya, the voter turnout was 61.11 per cent, about 7 per cent higher than 2009.
Polling in other constituencies was Morena (51.67%), Gwalior (50.78%), Sagar (59.08%), Tikamgarh-SC (50.67%), Damoh (54.06%), Khajuraho (50.11%) and Bhopal (58.42%).
Besides Scindia and Tomar (Gwalior), others in the fray included former Minister and ex-Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s nephew Anoop Mishra (Morena), former IAS officer Bhagirath Prasad who joined BJP a day after getting Congress ticket from Bhind, ex-Union Minister Prahlad Patel (Damoh), former Minister Nagendra Singh (Khajuraho) and Rajgarh sitting MP Narayan Singh Amlabe, who is considered close to Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh.
The Election Commission had deployed 1.20 lakh polling staff and a large number of central and state police forces, especially in dacoit-hit Chambal region.
In the first phase, polling was held in nine constituencies on April 10 in the state, which has 28 Lok Sabha seats. The third and final phase of polling for remaining ten seats will be held on April 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe