LS polls: Over 77 percent cast ballot in Assam amid violence
Guwahati: A policeman was killed in a mob attack on a polling station, while another man died and 14 people were injured in a clash between supporters of two parties, as 77 percent of Assam voters cast ballot in the state`s last six Lok Sabha constituencies that went to polls Thursday.
Election officials said 77.05 percent polling was recorded till 5 p.m. in Gauhati, Barpeta, Dhubri, Kokrajhar, Nowgong and Mangaldai.
Dhubri recorded the highest with 80.97 percent, followed by Mangaldai with 80.01 percent, Kokrajhar with 77.74, Nowgong with 75.33, Gauhati with 74.06, and Barpeta with 74.21 percent.
In Kokrajhar, some voters attacked security personnel at a polling station after rumours about malfunctioning of the electronic voting machines (EVMs) spread.
As police tried to bring the situation under control, the mob attacked them, leading to the death of a constable and injuries to two others.
The mob also snatched two firearms from the police personnel there.
In another incident in Boko on the outskirts of Guwahati, a man died and 14 people were injured in a clash between supporters of the Congress and the All India United Democratic Front.
In some polling stations, balloting was cancelled and the Election Commission may go for repoll in those places, said state chief electoral officer Vijayendra.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is a voter in Assam, Thursday said there was no wave for BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in the country.
"Modi wave is a creation of the media. I don`t think the country as a whole is struck by any Modi wave," Manmohan Singh said after casting his last Lok Sabha vote while in office.
The prime minister,. who is a Rajya Sabha member from Assam, and his wife Gursharan Kaur cast their votes at the Dispur Government H.S. School polling centre.
They are registered as voters in the Dispur legislative assembly segment under Gauhati Lok Sabha constituency.
The first phase for five seats recorded over 78 percent polling while the second phase for three seats saw a turnout of over 76 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan