Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio wins state`s lone LS seat
Kohima: Ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) nominee and Chief Minister of Nagaland, Neiphiu Rio has emerged victorious for the lone Lok Sabha seat in the state.
Rio polled 71,3372 votes to defeat his nearest Congress rival K V Pusa by 40,0225 votes.
Akhei Achumi of Social Party (India) polled 9,695 votes, while NOTA had 2,696 votes. Another 189 votes were rejected, said Returning Officer for Nagaland Temjen Toy.
Declaration of result in Nagaland was delayed as two EVMs were defunct and data could not be retrieved.
This was the third straight win for the ruling Naga People`s Front in Lok Sabha polls.
Meanwhile, talking to reporters, Rio expressed happiness that the people had reposed faith on him.
"My winning margin does not matter as I will be going to Delhi for the bigger cause of the Naga people," he said.
Being a pre-poll ally of BJP, Rio said "I have already had a conversation with Narendra Modi and conveyed that proper discussions would be held only after meeting him in Delhi tomorrow."
Meanwhile, Nagaland Congress president S I Jamir said "We cannot expect good results on our part as it was not an election in the true sense, but only a money game."
Further, Congress candidate K V Pusa accepting defeat, congratulated Rio for winning the Lok Sabha seat, while expressing hope that he would deliver good to the people of the state.
"The Congress will never let the people down and will continue to fight communal forces in the interest of people of the state," Pusa added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal