Policeman killed, two injured in Assam poll violence
Guwahati: A police constable was killed and two others were injured when some voters attacked security personnel at a polling booth in Assam`s Kokrajhar district Thursday, a top police official said.
The voters also snatched two rifles from the security personnel. People pelted stones at the security personnel and attacked poll equipment.
Balloting was stopped in five polling booths in and around the area immediately after the incident.
"Someone spread rumours at the polling station in Balipara L.P. School, located 25 km from Kokrajhar, that the EVMs were not functioning properly. But it turned out to be a rumour. However, the voters turned violent and attacked the security personnel," said Additional Director General of Police AP Raut.
One police constable was killed, while two others who tried to control the situation were seriously injured in the mob violence, Raut said.
A total of 2,049 polling stations were set up in Kokrajhar Lok Sabha constituency and 130 of them were identified as "very sensitive". Over 20 companies of security forces were deployed in Kokrajhar to ensure smooth polling.
Polling is being held Thursday in six Lok Sabha constituencies in the last of three-phased balloting for a total 14 seats from the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves