Policeman killed, two injured in Assam poll violence
Guwahati: A police constable was killed and two others were injured when some voters attacked security personnel at a polling booth in Assam`s Kokrajhar district Thursday, a top police official said.
The voters also snatched two rifles from the security personnel. People pelted stones at the security personnel and attacked poll equipment.
Balloting was stopped in five polling booths in and around the area immediately after the incident.
"Someone spread rumours at the polling station in Balipara L.P. School, located 25 km from Kokrajhar, that the EVMs were not functioning properly. But it turned out to be a rumour. However, the voters turned violent and attacked the security personnel," said Additional Director General of Police AP Raut.
One police constable was killed, while two others who tried to control the situation were seriously injured in the mob violence, Raut said.
A total of 2,049 polling stations were set up in Kokrajhar Lok Sabha constituency and 130 of them were identified as "very sensitive". Over 20 companies of security forces were deployed in Kokrajhar to ensure smooth polling.
Polling is being held Thursday in six Lok Sabha constituencies in the last of three-phased balloting for a total 14 seats from the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what