Anti-graft activists to submit new draft of Goa Lokayukta Bill
Panaji: Aam Admi Party will submit a list of changes in the Goa Lokayukta Bill on the lines of the law in Uttarakhand, which has provisions for a foolproof ombudsman body, AAP founder-member Prashant Bhushan said on Sunday.
After meeting Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar here, Bhushan said a fresh draft will be submitted to the Goa government in order to weed out "all objectionable clauses" in the bill, which was recently passed by the Goa Assembly.
"The chief minister has asked for a draft of the bill to make necessary changes. I have an impression that he won`t send the current bill for the governor`s assent and instead wait for the budget session to pass the bill along with the necessary changes," Bhushan told a gathering of AAP workers.
He said that the new draft would be on the lines of the Uttarakhand Lokayukta Bill, which has provisions for a foolproof ombudsman body.
Indian Against Corruption (IAC) and like minded activists have objected to certain clauses in the Goa Lokayukta Bill, 2013 including a clause imposing a fine between Rs 1 lakh to Rs 10 lakh for filing vexatious complaints with the Lokayukta.
"If the Lokayukta is pliable and if he says the complaint is fake, even if it is genuine, then complainants would have to pay fines of Rs 10 lakh or undergo imprisonment," Bhushan said, adding this could deter serious complainants.
He said that false complainants must be punished, but there must be a balance.
As per the bill, there is no independent investigation agency attached to the Goa Lokayukta, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!