Anti-graft activists to submit new draft of Goa Lokayukta Bill
Panaji: Aam Admi Party will submit a list of changes in the Goa Lokayukta Bill on the lines of the law in Uttarakhand, which has provisions for a foolproof ombudsman body, AAP founder-member Prashant Bhushan said on Sunday.
After meeting Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar here, Bhushan said a fresh draft will be submitted to the Goa government in order to weed out "all objectionable clauses" in the bill, which was recently passed by the Goa Assembly.
"The chief minister has asked for a draft of the bill to make necessary changes. I have an impression that he won`t send the current bill for the governor`s assent and instead wait for the budget session to pass the bill along with the necessary changes," Bhushan told a gathering of AAP workers.
He said that the new draft would be on the lines of the Uttarakhand Lokayukta Bill, which has provisions for a foolproof ombudsman body.
Indian Against Corruption (IAC) and like minded activists have objected to certain clauses in the Goa Lokayukta Bill, 2013 including a clause imposing a fine between Rs 1 lakh to Rs 10 lakh for filing vexatious complaints with the Lokayukta.
"If the Lokayukta is pliable and if he says the complaint is fake, even if it is genuine, then complainants would have to pay fines of Rs 10 lakh or undergo imprisonment," Bhushan said, adding this could deter serious complainants.
He said that false complainants must be punished, but there must be a balance.
As per the bill, there is no independent investigation agency attached to the Goa Lokayukta, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown