Anti-graft activists to submit new draft of Goa Lokayukta Bill
Panaji: Aam Admi Party will submit a list of changes in the Goa Lokayukta Bill on the lines of the law in Uttarakhand, which has provisions for a foolproof ombudsman body, AAP founder-member Prashant Bhushan said on Sunday.
After meeting Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar here, Bhushan said a fresh draft will be submitted to the Goa government in order to weed out "all objectionable clauses" in the bill, which was recently passed by the Goa Assembly.
"The chief minister has asked for a draft of the bill to make necessary changes. I have an impression that he won`t send the current bill for the governor`s assent and instead wait for the budget session to pass the bill along with the necessary changes," Bhushan told a gathering of AAP workers.
He said that the new draft would be on the lines of the Uttarakhand Lokayukta Bill, which has provisions for a foolproof ombudsman body.
Indian Against Corruption (IAC) and like minded activists have objected to certain clauses in the Goa Lokayukta Bill, 2013 including a clause imposing a fine between Rs 1 lakh to Rs 10 lakh for filing vexatious complaints with the Lokayukta.
"If the Lokayukta is pliable and if he says the complaint is fake, even if it is genuine, then complainants would have to pay fines of Rs 10 lakh or undergo imprisonment," Bhushan said, adding this could deter serious complainants.
He said that false complainants must be punished, but there must be a balance.
As per the bill, there is no independent investigation agency attached to the Goa Lokayukta, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe