BJP to raise special status demand for Goa at national conclave
Panaji: The demand for granting special status to Goa will be raised at the BJP`s national office-bearers meeting scheduled on June 7 here, a senior party leader said on Monday.
Goa is hosting the two-day national executive meeting of BJP beginning June 8 and the national office-bearers` meeting is scheduled a day before.
BJP-led state government has been pressing for special status to the coastal state considering its geographical limitations in protecting available resources and had also passed a resolution to this effect in recently concluded session of the state Legislative Assembly.
"The issue of special status to Goa would be discussed with the national office bearers. They will be requested to take up the issue to the Centre," the state unit BJP President Vinay Tendulkar told reporters here.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar is expected to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi this week to apprise him about the special status demand and also seek a financial package for the people affected by the closure of mining in the state.
- IN PICS: Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters brutally thrash this man in Patna - Know why
- Good news! India win one silver, two bronze in Archery World Cup
- Yuvraj Singh drops big hint about film on his life – Here's what the star batsman said...
- Indian Premier League 9: After struggling for years, Delhi Daredevils find rhythm under Rahul Dravid's watchful eyes
- WATCH: SHOCKING! Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters mercilessly beat up man for showing black flag