BJP to raise special status demand for Goa at national conclave
Panaji: The demand for granting special status to Goa will be raised at the BJP`s national office-bearers meeting scheduled on June 7 here, a senior party leader said on Monday.
Goa is hosting the two-day national executive meeting of BJP beginning June 8 and the national office-bearers` meeting is scheduled a day before.
BJP-led state government has been pressing for special status to the coastal state considering its geographical limitations in protecting available resources and had also passed a resolution to this effect in recently concluded session of the state Legislative Assembly.
"The issue of special status to Goa would be discussed with the national office bearers. They will be requested to take up the issue to the Centre," the state unit BJP President Vinay Tendulkar told reporters here.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar is expected to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Delhi this week to apprise him about the special status demand and also seek a financial package for the people affected by the closure of mining in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police