Cess from mining workers should be utilised in Goa: Rane
Panaji: Leader of Opposition in Goa Assembly Pratapsingh Rane today demanded on the floor of the House that the money collected from the mining workers in the form of a cess should be ploughed back in the state.
Almost Rs one crore has been collected in the form of cess from the workers in the mining industry, Rane told the Legislative Assembly on Wednesday.
"This money goes to the central government fund, when actually it should be utilised in Goa," he said.
The cess collected goes in the kitty of Indian Mines Bureau (IBM) located at Nagpur. "This money should have been used in Goa to give facilities like housing and health for the mining workers," the former chief minister demanded.
The mining workers rightfully own that money, he said. Rane raised the issue while discussing about the health facilities in the mining belt of Sankhalim and Valpoi.
He had asked State Health Minister Laxmikant Parsekar as to when will the hospitals at Sanquelim and Valpoi be ready.
Parsekar said that "no such time frame can be given in respect of Valpoi hospital" while the construction of hospital at Sanquelim was completed in all respects and was inaugurated on January 23 this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH