Goa Governor targets ‘self-styled civil society’
Panaji: Legislators need to be conscious of "self styled" civil society members questioning the role of the legislature in India, Goa Governor Bharat Vir Wanchoo said Friday.
Speaking at the inauguration of an orientation programme for legislators the newly-appointed governor said that it was a "sad commentary" on affairs that people were expressing lack of confidence in legislative bodies in India.
"We need to be conscious that some self-styled civil society members are questioning the role of our legislatures and it is therefore your responsibility to ensure that as elected representatives you remain worthy of the trust reposed in you by the people," Wanchoo said, after specifically taking leave from the audience in order to be "candid on the current state of affairs in our country and the public perception".
"The integrity and independence of legislature needs to be preserved and protected at all costs with no room for compromise. You have to rise resolutely to create and not kill, to construct and not destroy, to represent and not to repress," the governor, a former police officer who was head of the elite Special Protection Group (SPG}, told Goa`s legislators.
Exhorting the elected representatives to lead people in the true sense of the word, Wanchoo also said that legislators should use the media to create public opinion.
"You have to lead and create public opinion and provide media with serious content to raise levels of public discourse," Wanchoo said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?