Narendra Modi will develop India into Hindu state: Goa Minister
Panaji: Days after his minister brother triggered a controversy by demanding a ban on wearing bikinis on Goa`s beaches, Cooperation Minister Dipak Dhavalikar on Thursday appeared to have waded into another, saying Prime Minister Narendra Modi will develop India into a Hindu nation.
"I am confident that under the leadership of Modiji, India will develop into a Hindu nation. Prime Minister will work in this regard is what I feel," he said while speaking in state assembly on a motion congratulating Modi on BJP`s electoral victory.
Both Dhavalikar brothers -- Sudin and Dipak -- belonging to Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party, an ally of BJP, are ministers in the Manohar Parrikar government.
"Wearing bikinis should be banned on Goa`s beaches," Sudin Dhavalikar, the state`s transport minister, had said earlier this month.
Before that, he had slammed the "young girls going to pubs in short dresses" as it was against Goan culture.
"Young girls going to pubs in short dresses does not fit in our culture. What will happen to our Goan culture if we allow this?... Scantily-dressed girls visiting pubs project a wrong culture and this should be stopped," he had said.
Sudin had later withdrawn his comments that provoked outrage in the state whose beaces and pubs swarm with tourists, including lakhs of foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17