Russian music fest cancelled over law and order issue: Goa CM
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Tuesday justified state government`s action of the last minute cancellation of the Indo-Russian musical event stating that the event could have led to law and order problems.
Goa government had cancelled the permission that it had earlier given for Great Live Music Festival scheduled to take place on January 31-February 1, 2014 at Candolim, organised by a Russian company in association with the Russian Consulate in Mumbai. The event was cancelled as the venue was close to a church.
Parrikar told the Goa Legislative Assembly that the state-level permission committee (SLPC) had given its green signal for the event when the situation was normal in the area, but cancelled it when tension started brewing there.
Well-known bands from India such as Indian Ocean and Parikrama as well as Russian bands were to perform at the festival.
"The tourism ministry referred the file to me as a home minister and based on a police report, government decided to hold back the permission. I did not want to further strain the law and order situation," he told the House during Question Hour today.
He said that the report submitted to him by the tourism ministry also mentioned that local legislator (Michael Lobo) was not taken into confidence by the organisers.
The chief minister clarified that the decision of not giving the permission was not taken by the SLPC.
Local BJP MLA Michael Lobo had opposed the event, saying that it was being held in the vicinity of a church.
Intervening in the discussion on the issue today, Lobo said the "cancellation of event got Goa into bad books with Russia."
The Russian consulate officials addressing a press conference had earlier condemned the state government`s action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees