School girl rape: Goa CM’s resignation demanded
Panaji: Alleging that the law and order situation in Goa has deteriorated, state Congress on Friday demanded resignation of Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar in the wake of the rape of a seven-year-old girl in a school in Vasco town.
Goa Congress spokesman Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco told reporters here today that Parrikar, who is also the state Home Minister, should own up the moral responsibility and step down from his post.
Police were reluctant even to take action against the school authorities, which had goofed up the entire case by trying to destroy the evidence after the rape incident, Lourenco said.
The girl was raped in the toilet of her school in the port town of Vasco on Monday.
Parents of the victim have alleged that the school staff tried to destroy the evidence of the crime.
Congress said that the state government was not serious about arresting the culprit, who is still at large.
Quoting the statement given by teachers to the police, Laurenco said the accused was released from the school campus after giving him warning, when he was noticed loitering in the campus. Apparently, the man returned and raped the girl.
"Why did the school not ensure that the gates are closed and the same person is not allowed to enter in again," he questioned.
Lourenco has demanded that all those responsible for negligence should be arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31