School girl rape: Goa CM’s resignation demanded
Panaji: Alleging that the law and order situation in Goa has deteriorated, state Congress on Friday demanded resignation of Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar in the wake of the rape of a seven-year-old girl in a school in Vasco town.
Goa Congress spokesman Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco told reporters here today that Parrikar, who is also the state Home Minister, should own up the moral responsibility and step down from his post.
Police were reluctant even to take action against the school authorities, which had goofed up the entire case by trying to destroy the evidence after the rape incident, Lourenco said.
The girl was raped in the toilet of her school in the port town of Vasco on Monday.
Parents of the victim have alleged that the school staff tried to destroy the evidence of the crime.
Congress said that the state government was not serious about arresting the culprit, who is still at large.
Quoting the statement given by teachers to the police, Laurenco said the accused was released from the school campus after giving him warning, when he was noticed loitering in the campus. Apparently, the man returned and raped the girl.
"Why did the school not ensure that the gates are closed and the same person is not allowed to enter in again," he questioned.
Lourenco has demanded that all those responsible for negligence should be arrested.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Majority in UN backs adding permanent members to Security Council: India
- 9 poachers arrested for killing rhino in Kaziranga National Park
- Water woes: MNS activists vandalise irrigation office in Pune
- Hafiz Saeed says JuD won't allow Hindu temples in Pakistan to be destroyed
- Bangla SC to pronounce fate of Jamaat-e-Islami chief on May 5