Tehelka case: Goa cops to seek extended custody of Tarun Tejpal
Zee Media Bureau
Panaji: Goa Police could seek another week`s remand for Tehelka editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal, who was arrested last week on charges of sexually assaulting a junior colleague here last month.
Police sources said that Tejpal, whose six-day remand period expires on Friday, needed to be confronted and questioned after the statements of the three witnesses and former Tehelka managing editor Shoma Chaudhury were recorded by the police.
"We still haven`t been able to record a formal admission of crime from Tejpal. He keeps insisting the act was consented to by the victim," police said.
Tejpal has been accused of allegedly raping a journalist in the elevator of a five star resort in Goa last month. While the woman journalist has complained of rape, the accused Tejpal claims the act was consensual. The victim has since quit the magazine.
Apart from seeking custody of Tejpal, police later this week are also expected to record the statement of Chaudhury and three other journalists Shougat Dasgupta, G Vishnu and Ishan Tankha, who the woman journalist had confided in after the alleged sexual assault by Tejpal.
Tejpal was arrested last week amid high drama and was remanded to six days in police custody by a local court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India