Tehelka case: Goa cops to seek extended custody of Tarun Tejpal
Zee Media Bureau
Panaji: Goa Police could seek another week`s remand for Tehelka editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal, who was arrested last week on charges of sexually assaulting a junior colleague here last month.
Police sources said that Tejpal, whose six-day remand period expires on Friday, needed to be confronted and questioned after the statements of the three witnesses and former Tehelka managing editor Shoma Chaudhury were recorded by the police.
"We still haven`t been able to record a formal admission of crime from Tejpal. He keeps insisting the act was consented to by the victim," police said.
Tejpal has been accused of allegedly raping a journalist in the elevator of a five star resort in Goa last month. While the woman journalist has complained of rape, the accused Tejpal claims the act was consensual. The victim has since quit the magazine.
Apart from seeking custody of Tejpal, police later this week are also expected to record the statement of Chaudhury and three other journalists Shougat Dasgupta, G Vishnu and Ishan Tankha, who the woman journalist had confided in after the alleged sexual assault by Tejpal.
Tejpal was arrested last week amid high drama and was remanded to six days in police custody by a local court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- 'Nokia could cut 10,000-15,000 jobs worldwide'
- Manipur HSLC exam result 2016: Manipur Board Class 10 result to be declared shortly, check manresult.nic.in for Manipur Class X result 2016
- Air ambulance with seven people crash lands in Delhi's Najafgarh
- Nehru, Gandhi family responsible for rising rapes in India, says Rajasthan BJP MLA Gyandev Ahuja
- Shocking video: Old woman mercilessly beaten up by her daughter in Delhi