Tehelka case: Goa cops to seek extended custody of Tarun Tejpal
Zee Media Bureau
Panaji: Goa Police could seek another week`s remand for Tehelka editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal, who was arrested last week on charges of sexually assaulting a junior colleague here last month.
Police sources said that Tejpal, whose six-day remand period expires on Friday, needed to be confronted and questioned after the statements of the three witnesses and former Tehelka managing editor Shoma Chaudhury were recorded by the police.
"We still haven`t been able to record a formal admission of crime from Tejpal. He keeps insisting the act was consented to by the victim," police said.
Tejpal has been accused of allegedly raping a journalist in the elevator of a five star resort in Goa last month. While the woman journalist has complained of rape, the accused Tejpal claims the act was consensual. The victim has since quit the magazine.
Apart from seeking custody of Tejpal, police later this week are also expected to record the statement of Chaudhury and three other journalists Shougat Dasgupta, G Vishnu and Ishan Tankha, who the woman journalist had confided in after the alleged sexual assault by Tejpal.
Tejpal was arrested last week amid high drama and was remanded to six days in police custody by a local court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death