Two Old Goa churches ban tourists during religious service
Panaji: Two of Goa`s prime churches have disallowed tourists during religious service during the ongoing Holy Week, which will culminate in Easter on Sunday.
Non Christians who want to pray are allowed, provided they sit through the entire service.
Special masses are being held at Se Cathedral and Basilica of Bom Jesus, two of the most important churches at Old Goa Heritage Complex, as part of the Holy Week celebration.
These 16th century architectural marvels, protected by Archaeological Survey of India as world heritage monuments, are also a tourist attraction with thousands flocking there every day.
"Tourists create disturbance. Sometimes they talk loudly, or many times they are badly dressed," said Fr Saturnino Dias, a priest attached to Se Cathedral, a church of St Catherine of Alexandaria.
"But if someone, irrespective of his religion, wants to attend services, he can do it provided he sits throughout," he said.
Dias said sometimes tourists casually walk around and click pictures when prayers are going on. "It is not right to allow anyone to disturb the prayers," he said.
Fr Savio Barretto, Rector of Basilica of Bom Jesus, said, "We don`t segregate people based on their religion. But they should come for prayers and not as a tourist."
The Basilica houses relics of St Francis Xavier, a missionary and the patron saint of Goa.
One of the senior priests said the ban on tourists during prayers was a long-standing norm, which was never implemented. "Now it has been decided to properly implement it by posting volunteers," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India