Ahmedabad serial blast accused sent to 9-day police custody
Ahmedabad: The prime accused in the Ahmedabad serial bomb blasts case of 2008, Mohammad Shahid Nagori, was remanded in nine days police custody by a local court on Sunday.
Nagori, a member of Student Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) and an alleged Indian Mujahedeen (IM) operative, was arrested by Madhya Pradesh police on May 3 from Ujjain and handed over to the Gujarat police team lead by DCP Crime Branch Himanshu Shukla on transit remand.
The Crime Branch, which produced Nagori before the Metropolitan Magistrate KR Pandya today, had sought 14-day custody as it wanted to get information on his alleged role in 2008 serial blasts and the whereabouts of other 25 accused who are absconding.
Earlier in the day, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) KN Patel, while addressing a press conference, said that Nagori was trained for terrorist activities in a `Jehadi camp` organised in Vagamon forests in Kerala.
He also said that one of the accused Amer Parvez, who was arrested earlier and now an under-trial at Sabarmati Central Jail, had revealed the presence of Nagori at Vagamon Jehadi terror training camp.
With the arrest of Nagori, the number of accused arrested in connection with the blasts has gone up to 74 while 24 more accused including Riaz and Iqbal Bhatkal are still wanted.
56 persons were killed and over 100 injured in a series of 21 bomb blasts that hit Ahmedabad on July 26, 2008, within a span of 70 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video