BJP leader Amit Shah backs Narendra Modi as PM
Ahmedabad: After top Central BJP leaders endorsed Narendra Modi as the future prime minister, former Gujarat minister on Saturday backed the state chief minister saying he has "all the qualities" required for the top post.
Earlier, Sushma Swaraj and Gopinath Munde, during their visit to Gujarat, had said that Modi was fit and competent to be the prime minister.
"Whether he should be made PM or not, that the party will only decide. But I can say that Modi has all the qualities in him required to be a prime ministerial candidate," Shah, considered a close aide of Modi, said.
Shah is contesting elections from Naranpura constituency of the city, after being out on bail.
"We have able and successful leadership in the form of Modi," he said.
Shah is an accused in Sohrabuddin Sheikh and Tulsi Prajapati fake encounter cases.
He returned to Gujarat after a gap of two years following the Supreme Court judgement allowing him to enter the state, rejecting the CBI plea to cancel the bail granted to him in the 2005 Sohrabuddin encounter case.
"The false case of CBI against me is the biggest issue in my constituency," Shah said replying to a media query of cases against him and being given a ticket owning to close proximity with Modi.
"When the poll results are out you all will see that I shall win with landslide margin due to this reason only. Entire Gujarat knows that this case is false, and is politically motivated," he claimed.
"The case has been framed against me by misusing CBI," he said.
Taking a dig at Congress, Shah said that the party had no leader to project in Gujarat, which was a big issue in this assembly elections.
"Supposing if Congress bags majority then who would be their leader... It is a very big issue," Shah said.
Since his return to Ahmedabad, Shah had been engaged in electioneering activity, but keeping a low profile.
CBI, in its charge sheet, named Shah as the kingpin in the Tulsi Prajapati fake encounter case. Acting on a petition filed by Shah, the apex court had stayed all the proceedings in the Prajapati case.
Shah is also vice-president of Gujarat Gujarat Cricket Association, headed by Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray