CBI arrests retired Guj cop in Sadik Jamal encounter case
Ahmedabad: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), probing the 2003 alleged fake encounter case of Sadik Jamal, today arrested one of the main accused - retired DySP K M Vaghela.
After his arrest, Vaghela was produced before the Special CBI court of additional chief judicial magistrate H S Khutwad, who sent him in judicial custody.
Earlier, the Special CBI court had issued a non bailable warrant (NBW) against him.
Vaghela, a retired DySP, was police inspector in January 2003 with the Detection of Crime Branch (DCB), Ahmedabad and part of the team which allegedly killed Sadik, a resident of Bhavnagar, in a fake encounter on the outskirts of the city.
Vaghela, against whom the CBI had earlier filed a charge sheet in the case, was absconding.
In this case, CBI had till now arrested eight accused, including DySP Tarun Barot, six other policemen and former Mumbai journalist Ketan Tirodkar, who is on bail at present.
With this, the number of present and former policemen who have been arrested in the case has gone up to eight and total number of arrests has gone to nine.
The genuineness of the encounter became an issue after Mumbai-based former journalist Ketan Tirodkar filed an affidavit before a court in Mumbai that he was witness to Jamal`s hand-over to Gujarat police by `encounter specialist` officer Daya Nayak of Mumbai police, a few days before the alleged encounter.
In June 2011, the High Court had ordered a CBI probe upon a petition of Sabir Jamal, Sadik`s brother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH