CBI to probe Amit Jethwa murder case
New Delhi: In a major development, the Gujarat High Court on Tuesday ordered a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the 2010 murder of a prominent (Right to Information) RTI activist and `green crusader` Amit Jethwa.
Jethwa was shot dead by some unidentified assailants near the Gujarat High Court on July 20, 2010.
Jethwa was campaigning against alleged illegal mining in the Gir Sanctuary areas in Saurashtra region, which is allegedly backed by some politicians.
Jethwa had filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in the Gujarat High Court. The petition alleged that mining activities were being carried out in Una and Kodinar in Saurashtra allegedly by Junagadh BJP MP Dinubhai Boghabhai Solanki and his relatives.
Jethwa had further alleged that the Solankis were also running illegal mines and stone crushers in a village on the border of Gir forests.
The Gujarat Police Crime Branch later gave a clean chit to BJP MP Dinu Solanki in connection with the Jethva murder case.
Dissatisfied over the clean chit given to the BJP MP, Amit`s father, Bhikha, ;later filed a petition in the High Court, seeking probe by the CBI or any other independent agency, in October 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?