Ex-Congress MP Harisinh Chavda, BJP MLA Vankavala no more
Ahmedabad: Former Congress MP from Banaskantha, Harisinh Chavda and sitting BJP MLA Kishorchandra Vankavala passed away Saturday morning following illness, family sources said.
Chavda (83) was not keeping well since a week and breathed his last at his home in Banaskantha. He is survived by wife, two sons and two daughters.
He was elected to 14th Lok Sabha in 2004 from Banaskantha Lok Sabha seat in North Gujarat. Chavda was one of the 18 cabinet ministers in 1975-1976 Babubhai Jashbhai Patel`s Gujarat government of Janta Morcha. He was given the portfolio of Prohibition ministry.
The senior leader had founded Lokniketan Trust and started three colleges, ten high schools, five ashram shalas, eight hostels and kindergartens in tribal areas of North Gujarat. His contribution in tribal area on education front is immense.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi offered his condolences to the family.
"My condolences to the family of former MP and Congress leader Shri Harisinh Chavda on his demise. May his soul rest in peace," Modi tweeted on micro-blogging site Twitter.
Sitting BJP MLA from Surat West, Vankavala (70) died in Surat after protracted illness.
"He was battling lung cancer for the last six months. He was admitted to a hospital two days back and died early this morning," a family member said.
He was first elected to the 182-member state legislative Assembly in 2007 and this was his second term.
Modi condoled the demise of Vankavala.
"Saddened by the death of MLA from Surat Shri Kishor Vankavala. Had met him last week only. The news is shocking. May his soul rest in peace," he tweeted.
Surat city BJP president Purnesh Modi said he was a dedicated party worker, who had served as the city BJP president of Vadodara, Tapi and Valsad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines