Father, son fly together, celebrating three generations in IAF
Vadodara: An Indian Air Force (IAF) AN-32 aircraft which took off from Air Force station Vadodara on Monday, proceeded to create history of sorts, as it was flown by a father and son team of IAF pilots.
The sortie was flown by Air Commodore RS Sodhi, who is Air Officer Commanding at Air Force Station Vadodara and his son Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi, who is presently posted to Squadron 12, based at air force station Agra.
Three generations of the Chandigarh-based Sodhis have served in the IAF, beginning with Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi`s grandfather, 85-year-old retired Wing Commander Bhupender Singh Sodhi, who had joined the IAF`s administration and legal branch, in November 1949.
Both his sons too chose to join the IAF, as his elder son Air Commodore P S Sodhi joined IAF as a medical officer and is presently commanding the 5 Air Force Hospital at Jorhat.
His younger son is Air Commodore R S Sodhi, who was commissioned in June 1979 as a fighter pilot and went on to achieve today`s feat, when he flew a sortie with his son Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi, who joined the IAF as a pilot in June 2010.
Air Commodore RS Sodhi has a total of 3,500 flying hours on various aircraft and he is an alumnus of the Defence Service Staff College and College of Defence Management. He has been awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal by the President in recognition of his distinguished service of high order.
Talking to reporters after flying with his son, Air Commodore R S Sodhi said "Youth should be motivated to join the IAF".
His unmarried son Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi, posted to Squadron 12 at air force station Agra said, "I will encourage my son to join the IAF after I get married". He said he drew this inspiration from his father and would want his son to maintain this tradition.
His grandfather, retired Wing Commander Bhupender Singh said, "I am proud of my son and grandson for joining the IAF".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India
- Anil Kumble – Facts you must know about India's new coach
- 'Strong' Salman Khan can handle any controversy: Pulkit Samrat
- Vikas Krishan, Manoj Kumar book Olympic berths in Baku