Father, son fly together, celebrating three generations in IAF
Vadodara: An Indian Air Force (IAF) AN-32 aircraft which took off from Air Force station Vadodara on Monday, proceeded to create history of sorts, as it was flown by a father and son team of IAF pilots.
The sortie was flown by Air Commodore RS Sodhi, who is Air Officer Commanding at Air Force Station Vadodara and his son Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi, who is presently posted to Squadron 12, based at air force station Agra.
Three generations of the Chandigarh-based Sodhis have served in the IAF, beginning with Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi`s grandfather, 85-year-old retired Wing Commander Bhupender Singh Sodhi, who had joined the IAF`s administration and legal branch, in November 1949.
Both his sons too chose to join the IAF, as his elder son Air Commodore P S Sodhi joined IAF as a medical officer and is presently commanding the 5 Air Force Hospital at Jorhat.
His younger son is Air Commodore R S Sodhi, who was commissioned in June 1979 as a fighter pilot and went on to achieve today`s feat, when he flew a sortie with his son Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi, who joined the IAF as a pilot in June 2010.
Air Commodore RS Sodhi has a total of 3,500 flying hours on various aircraft and he is an alumnus of the Defence Service Staff College and College of Defence Management. He has been awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal by the President in recognition of his distinguished service of high order.
Talking to reporters after flying with his son, Air Commodore R S Sodhi said "Youth should be motivated to join the IAF".
His unmarried son Flight Lieutenant Angad Singh Sodhi, posted to Squadron 12 at air force station Agra said, "I will encourage my son to join the IAF after I get married". He said he drew this inspiration from his father and would want his son to maintain this tradition.
His grandfather, retired Wing Commander Bhupender Singh said, "I am proud of my son and grandson for joining the IAF".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened