Gujarat fares poorly on malnutrition: Report
New Delhi: Gujarat, a high economic growth
model recently applauded in a US Congressional report, figures
the worst in terms of overall hunger and malnutrition in the
Among the industrial states, Gujarat has very high
incidence of malnutrition among Scheduled Caste and Scheduled
Tribe women, says `India Human Development Report 2011`
brought out by Institute of Applied Manpower Research of the
Gujarat also comes one notch down in the Human Development
Index (HDI), at the 11th position among various states in the
country in 2007-08, against the 10th spot in 1999-2000.
It has now been pipped by Jammu and Kashmir, which was
earlier holding the 11th spot on the HDI in 1999-2000.
The score of Gujarat on the Human Development Index has,
however, improved to 0.527 in 2007-08, from 0.466 in
1999-2000. Gujarat HDI, however, is above the national average
of 0.467 as per the report of 2007-08.
The performance of Gujarat on the HDI is lower as compared
to many smaller states like Kerala, Himachal Pradesh, Goa,
Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir and the North-East (excluding
Taking a dig at the Gujarat model, Rural Development
Minister Jairam Ramesh, who released the country`s Report
said, "On nutrition, I am puzzled as to why a high rate of
malnutrition continues to persist even in pockets of high
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?