Gujarat fares poorly on malnutrition: Report
New Delhi: Gujarat, a high economic growth
model recently applauded in a US Congressional report, figures
the worst in terms of overall hunger and malnutrition in the
Among the industrial states, Gujarat has very high
incidence of malnutrition among Scheduled Caste and Scheduled
Tribe women, says `India Human Development Report 2011`
brought out by Institute of Applied Manpower Research of the
Gujarat also comes one notch down in the Human Development
Index (HDI), at the 11th position among various states in the
country in 2007-08, against the 10th spot in 1999-2000.
It has now been pipped by Jammu and Kashmir, which was
earlier holding the 11th spot on the HDI in 1999-2000.
The score of Gujarat on the Human Development Index has,
however, improved to 0.527 in 2007-08, from 0.466 in
1999-2000. Gujarat HDI, however, is above the national average
of 0.467 as per the report of 2007-08.
The performance of Gujarat on the HDI is lower as compared
to many smaller states like Kerala, Himachal Pradesh, Goa,
Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir and the North-East (excluding
Taking a dig at the Gujarat model, Rural Development
Minister Jairam Ramesh, who released the country`s Report
said, "On nutrition, I am puzzled as to why a high rate of
malnutrition continues to persist even in pockets of high
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali