‘Narendra Modi govt for Dalits as priests’
Ahmedabad: Narendra Modi-led Gujarat government has come forward with a unique idea of training manual scavengers in Hindu religious rituals, a leading newspaper reported on Saturday.
Manual scavengers, termed as `safai kamdars` in Gujarat, will now be trained in Vedic rituals in institutions like SolaBhagvatVidyapith and Somnath Sanskrit University.
Meanwhile, to kickstart the project, the social justice department has proposed a new provision of Rs 22.50 lakh for the exceptional programme in the budget for 2013-14.
The latest move will help the suppressed backward community to become priests, and perform marriages and ‘puja’ in temples.
The move is expected to bring in huge support for the populist choice – Modi, who himself belongs to the OBC community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'