‘Narendra Modi govt for Dalits as priests’
Ahmedabad: Narendra Modi-led Gujarat government has come forward with a unique idea of training manual scavengers in Hindu religious rituals, a leading newspaper reported on Saturday.
Manual scavengers, termed as `safai kamdars` in Gujarat, will now be trained in Vedic rituals in institutions like SolaBhagvatVidyapith and Somnath Sanskrit University.
Meanwhile, to kickstart the project, the social justice department has proposed a new provision of Rs 22.50 lakh for the exceptional programme in the budget for 2013-14.
The latest move will help the suppressed backward community to become priests, and perform marriages and ‘puja’ in temples.
The move is expected to bring in huge support for the populist choice – Modi, who himself belongs to the OBC community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns