‘Narendra Modi govt for Dalits as priests’
Ahmedabad: Narendra Modi-led Gujarat government has come forward with a unique idea of training manual scavengers in Hindu religious rituals, a leading newspaper reported on Saturday.
Manual scavengers, termed as `safai kamdars` in Gujarat, will now be trained in Vedic rituals in institutions like SolaBhagvatVidyapith and Somnath Sanskrit University.
Meanwhile, to kickstart the project, the social justice department has proposed a new provision of Rs 22.50 lakh for the exceptional programme in the budget for 2013-14.
The latest move will help the suppressed backward community to become priests, and perform marriages and ‘puja’ in temples.
The move is expected to bring in huge support for the populist choice – Modi, who himself belongs to the OBC community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- File chargesheet against Chhota Rajan in Dey murder case by Aug 5, court tells CBI
- Swimming's governing body FINA bans seven Russians from participating at Rio Olympics
- Not liable to repay Rs 6,000 crore debt due to breach of terms: Kingfisher Airlines
- Pakistan assures China of 'smooth progress' of economic corridor
- Ajit Jogi opens new front against Congress over Mahanadi dam