Narendra Modi takes oath as Gujarat CM, calls it `memorable day`
Ahmedabad: Amidst heavy security arrangement and a brigade of top brass, Narendra Modi on Wednesday took oath as Gujarat`s Chief Minister for the fourth time after leading the Bharatiya Janata Party to a sweeping win in Assembly Elections.
Governor Kamla Beniwal administered the oath of office and secrecy to the Bharatiya Janata Party leader, who has ruled Gujarat since 2001, at the Sardar Patel Stadium here.
As Modi was sworn in as Gujarat`s Chief Minister, the chants of Bharat Mata Ki Jai filled the air. An estimated 2.5 lakh people packing the ground roared in joy as a visibly confident Modi took the oath in Gujarati.
After the swearing-in ceremony was over, Modi tweeted: “Took oath as Guj`s CM for the 4th time! A memorable day. I assure we will live upto the faith people have reposed in us”.
Modi was sworn in along with seven ministers of Cabinet rank and nine Ministers of State.
Nitin Patel, Anandi Patel, Raman Vora, Bhupendrasinh Chudasama, Saurabh Patel, Ganpat Vasawa, Babhbhai Bokhiariya took oath as Cabinet ministers, while Purshottam Solanki, Parbat Patel, Vasuben Trivedi, Pradeepsinh Jadeja, Liladhar Vaghela, Rajnikant Patel, Govind Patel, Nanubhai Vanani and Jayanti Kavadiya took oath as Ministers of State.
Among those present on the occasion were the Chief Ministers (J Jayalalithaa of Tamil Nadu, Parkash Singh Badal of Punjab, Shivraj Singh Chauhan of Madhya Pradesh, Raman Singh of Chhattisgarh), Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and MNS chief Raj Thackeray.
BJP top brass including LK Advani, Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, Nitin Gadkari, Rajnath Singh, Venkaiah Naidu, Ananth Kumar, Ravi Shankar Prasad also attended the swearing-in ceremony.
Indian National Lok Dal leader Om Prakash Chautala, former Rajasthan chief minister Vasundhra Raje, RPI leader Ramdas Athawale, BJP leaders Shahnawaz Hussain, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Anurag Thakur, Smriti Irani, Prakash Javadekar and Navjot Singh Sidhu were also present to witness Modi`s crowning moment.
As expected, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who has been keeping distance from Modi, as also his deputy Sushil Kumar Modi, were conspicuous by their absence. However, Bihar BJP president CP Thakur attended the ceremony.
A host of other non-political faces, including Bollywood actor Vivek Oberoi, his father Suresh Oberoi and actor Kirron Kher also present during the swearing-in ceremony.
Modi`s mother Heeraben, who was also present, was seen flashing the victory sign.
After the brief ceremony, the Chief Minister went around the stadium in an open vehicle, waving to the cheering crowds and flashing a `V` sign.
Modi is scheduled to attend the National Development Council (NDC) meeting in New Delhi on Thursday.
Before leaving for the venue, Modi tweeted: "Leaving for swearing in ceremony. Glad to see love of so many people and the presence of distinguished leaders."
A still earlier tweet of Wednesday by Modi said: "To make a great future India, the whole secret lies in organisation... coordination of wills."
The BJP bagged 115 of the 182 Assembly seats up for grabs, while Congress emerged victorious in 61. The Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) of former chief minister Keshubhai Patel bagged two seats.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo