Ramesh attacks Modi govt on water conservation programme
New Delhi: Narendra Modi`s government on Monday came under attack from Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh for not spending funds provided by the Centre for implementing an ambitious programme to conserve water in drought-hit areas of Gujarat.
In a letter to Modi, Ramesh said that under the Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP), the Centre has, so far, released Rs 702 crore and the unspent balance available with the state was about Rs 409 crore.
"In Gujarat, the cost of sanctioned projects between 2009-10 to 2013-14 is Rs 3178 crore....Had Gujarat implemented its IWMP projects as it had committed to, it could have got another Rs 407 crore more from the Centre over the last four years," he said.
Seeking to puncture the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate`s Gujarat Development Model claim, the Minister sought Modi`s "personal intervention in setting the structure right" in the state for the implementation of IWMP.
Ramesh`s letter to Modi has come two days after the BJP leader blamed the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre for lack of development in mineral-rich Jharkhand where he chairs the Coordination Committee for Congress-JMM-RJD alliance government.
Gujarat is "most important state" for the implementation of the programme, Ramesh said about IWMP launched in 2009-10 with the objective of restoring the ecological balance by harnessing, conserving and developing degraded natural resources such as soil, vegetative cover and water.
The Minister noted that barring Karnataka, the pace of implementation of IWMP in almost every state leaves much to be deserved.
According to officials, the outcomes of implementation of IWMP are prevention of soil and surface water run-off, regeneration of natural vegetation, rain water harvesting and recharging of the groundwater table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city