Seven dead in ammonia gas leakage in Gujarat
Mehsana: Seven persons died of asphyxiation after they got trapped inside a cold storage factory following the leakage of ammonia gas at Ranasan GIDC in Vijapur taluka of North Gujarat on Saturday, police said.
Prima facie it appeared that rupture in a pipeline carrying the gas to the factory resulted into the leakage, which has been stopped, according to a fire department official.
"Seven persons, including a woman, asphyxiated to death after ammonia gas leakage in a cold storage factory at Ranasan GIDC in Vijapur taluka here," police said.
The deceased are identified as Rahul Teja (20), Vihol Baldevsinh (35), Vihol Laxmansinh (40), Hirensinh Laxmansinh (40) and Daksha Naransinh (40)--all hailing from Pilvai village in Vijapur taluka---and Sanjay Parmar (22) of Vijapur and Shrelkumar Rathod (33) of Ranasan, police said.
A probe is on to find out how the pipeline got ruptured, the official said.
Earlier, firemen gained entry into the unit after cutting the roof and razing the sidewall.
Three teams of fire brigade from Mansa, Mehsana and Vijapur, along with a team from ONGC, and police were involved in rescue operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday