Two Sohrab case witnesses arrested in land scam
Surat: Three builders, including two prime witnesses in the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, were arrested in connection with a Rs 100-crore land scam on Sunday, city crime branch officials said here.
The two witnesses, Dashrat Patel and Raman Patel, and their relative, Pankaj Patel, who own a construction firm `Popular Builders`, were arrested on the basis of a
complaint filed in 2010, police said.
The three builders were accused of forging documents to acquire land in Sachin, Unn Taluka, they added.
Dashrat and Raman are the the prime witnesses in the fake encounter case, wherein former Gujarat Minister of State for Home, Amit Shah, is the main accused.
According to the CBI charge sheet, in December 2004, Gujarat police had orchestrated a shoot-out at the office of Popular Builders, using close aides of Sohrabuddin, in order to frame him.
The Patel brothers were allegedly told, at Shah`s behest, that they would be given written statements, according to which they would have to depose before the CBI.
The brothers had four meeting with Shah`s middlemen. They video graphed them and the recordings form a major evidence against Shah and other accused.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India