Vaju Vala named `pro tem` Speaker of Gujarat Assembly
Ahmedabad: Former state Finance Minister and one of BJP`s most senior MLAs Vajubhai Vala has been selected as the `pro tem` Speaker of the new state Assembly on Wednesday.
Following the resignation of Ganpat Vasava as the Speaker of the last assembly, Vala has been selected as the presiding officer of the House until a new Speaker is elected.
Vasava took oath as cabinet minister in the 17-member council headed by Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In the wake of his inclusion in the cabinet, Vasava tendered his resignation from the Speaker`s post and the seven-time BJP MLA from Rajkot was selected as `pro tem` speaker.
When Modi took oath as chief minister of the state for the fourth time in a row, everyone was surprised when Vala was dropped from the list of ministers who were sworn-in with Modi.
As Gujarat`s Finance Minster, Vala has a record of presenting the state budget 18 times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur