Vaju Vala named `pro tem` Speaker of Gujarat Assembly
Ahmedabad: Former state Finance Minister and one of BJP`s most senior MLAs Vajubhai Vala has been selected as the `pro tem` Speaker of the new state Assembly on Wednesday.
Following the resignation of Ganpat Vasava as the Speaker of the last assembly, Vala has been selected as the presiding officer of the House until a new Speaker is elected.
Vasava took oath as cabinet minister in the 17-member council headed by Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In the wake of his inclusion in the cabinet, Vasava tendered his resignation from the Speaker`s post and the seven-time BJP MLA from Rajkot was selected as `pro tem` speaker.
When Modi took oath as chief minister of the state for the fourth time in a row, everyone was surprised when Vala was dropped from the list of ministers who were sworn-in with Modi.
As Gujarat`s Finance Minster, Vala has a record of presenting the state budget 18 times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city