Vaju Vala named `pro tem` Speaker of Gujarat Assembly
Ahmedabad: Former state Finance Minister and one of BJP`s most senior MLAs Vajubhai Vala has been selected as the `pro tem` Speaker of the new state Assembly on Wednesday.
Following the resignation of Ganpat Vasava as the Speaker of the last assembly, Vala has been selected as the presiding officer of the House until a new Speaker is elected.
Vasava took oath as cabinet minister in the 17-member council headed by Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In the wake of his inclusion in the cabinet, Vasava tendered his resignation from the Speaker`s post and the seven-time BJP MLA from Rajkot was selected as `pro tem` speaker.
When Modi took oath as chief minister of the state for the fourth time in a row, everyone was surprised when Vala was dropped from the list of ministers who were sworn-in with Modi.
As Gujarat`s Finance Minster, Vala has a record of presenting the state budget 18 times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH