Gurgaon kidney racket kingpin Dr Amit convicted
New Delhi: The Panchkula court of the CBI on Friday convicted Dr Amit Kumar, the kingpin of the infamous kidney racket in Palam Vihar, Gurgaon and sentenced him to seven years of rigorous imprisonment.
Four other accomplices of Dr Amit were also found guilty and sentenced by the CBI court.
The special CBI court also slapped a fine of Rs 60 lakh on him and other accused.
A criminal case against Dr Amit and other accused was registered on February 8, 2008 with the Central Bureau of Investigation under section 120-B, 326, 342, 417, 465, 473, 506 and 307 of IPC.
Further investigation into the matter by competent authorities revealed that accused Dr Amit and his associates entered into a criminal conspiracy during the year 1999 to 2008 and in pursuance thereof engaged themselves in illegal transplantation of Human Organs (Kidneys) by charging hefty amounts from the recipients of kidneys.
For this purpose, they used to fraudulently allure poor people on the pretext of giving them employment and later on fraudulently removed their kidneys through surgical operation without their consent and authorization from the competent authority for huge monetary consideration and planted these kidneys in the bodies of recipients.
Accused Dr Amit Kumar and his associates were clandestinely running a hospital equipped with all facilities for conducting kidney transplants at the premises of House No. 2374, Sector-23, at Gurgaon in Haryana registered in the name and style of M/s Liberty Health Care Ltd. (also called as Star Max Hospital).
Dr Amit Kumar was promoter Director of the M/s Liberty Health Care Ltd.
After completion of investigation, a chargesheet was filed in the court of Special Judge, CBI at Panchkula against Dr. Amit Kumar, Dr. Upender, Dr. K.K. Aggarwal, Dr. Saraj Kumar Govind, Jeewan Kumar (brother of Dr. Amit), Ms. Linda (Nurse), Manoj Kumar (Lab Technician), Jagdish (Driver), Mohd. Shahid & Gyasudin (both touts) and the charges were framed against all the accused on 13.3.2012.
During the trial of the above case, after hearing the arguments from both sides, The Special Judge, CBI, Panchkula announced the judgement on 22.3.2013 and sentenced the accused as under: Dr. Amit Kumar – 7 years RI and a fine of Rs 60 lacs, Dr Upender Kumar -7 years RI and a fine of Rs 60 lacs, Manoj Kumar – 5 years RI and a fine of Rs 15,000, Mohd. Shahid – 5 years RI and a fine of Rs 15,000, Gyasudin -5 years RI and a fine of Rs 15,000.
The remaining accused Jeewan Kumar, Dr KK Aggarwal, Dr Saraj Kumar, Jagdish and Ms Linda were acquitted by the court. The court also ordered a compensation of Rs 10 lakhs each for victims namely Shahid, Sakil and Babu Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP