Haryana acid attack victim gets Rs 20 lakh for surgery
Chandigarh: A girl volleyball player, who became the victim of an acid attack in Haryana`s Rohtak town last year, will be given Rs 20 lakh by the state government for her plastic surgery, a state minister said on Thursday.
Women and Child Development Minister Geeta Bhukkal said the state level panel set up under the Relief and Rehabilitation of Women Acid Victims scheme, which met here Thursday, decided to release an immediate relief of Rs 20 lakh to Ritu Saini for her plastic surgery.
Bhukkal said that any further assistance, if required for the treatment, would also be given to Saini.
She has been advised to undergo plastic surgery by the Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in New Delhi, for which the cost would be around Rs 20 lakh.
Saini was attacked in Rohtak town May last year by two youths who threw acid on her. Police said the assailants were hired by a cousin of the victim, who liked her, to throw acid on her. The duo has been arrested.
The Relief and Rehabilitation of Women Acid Victims scheme provides temporary relief, medical reimbursement and rehabilitation services to acid attack victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days