Haryana all set to control stray dog population
Chandigarh: Perturbed over the large number of stray dogs in the state, the Haryana government is set to constitute the Society for Stray Canine Birth Control (SSCBC), an official spokesman of the state government said here Sunday.
SSCBC would conduct a survey to assess the number of stray dogs that could undergo sterilisation. The state urban local bodies department has framed a comprehensive scheme, aimed at stopping the proliferation of strays in the municipal areas of the state.
“In compliance with the orders of the Punjab and Haryana High Court and in pursuance of the Haryana municipal corporation (registration and proper control of dogs) bye-laws, 2008, SSCBC would be constituted in all municipal corporations, municipal councils and municipalities.
“Registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, SSCBC would have a chairman and some members. These would include a representative of the public health engineering department, a veterinary doctor, a representative of the district society for prevention of cruelty to animals, and at least two representatives from the animal welfare organisations operating in the local authority,” said the official spokesperson.
“Corporations, councils and committees would have to arrange dog vans with ramps to capture and transport stray dogs, along with one driver and two trained dog catchers. Training would be provided to dog catchers to ensure that the dogs are not subjected to inhuman treatment. Dog sterilisation centres would be set up in the hospitals being run by the animal husbandry department,” he said.
All expenses for the setting up of the infrastructure would be borne by the concerned urban local bodies, while technical inputs would be provided by the animal husbandry department.
Besides, the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) has already been constituted in all district headquarters in Haryana, under the chairmanship of the respective deputy commissioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'