Haryana notifies act to constitute Women Commissio
Chandigarh: The Haryana government on Thursday notified an Act that will facilitate the constitution of a state women`s commission.
The Haryana State Commission for Women Act, 2012 has been enacted to strengthen the State Women Commission by providing it the statutory status, an official release said here.
The Act has been enforced in the entire state and the government would soon constitute the Haryana State Commission for Women to exercise the powers conferred on, and perform the functions assigned to it under the Act.
The enactment of the Act was necessitated because as per the existing status of the Commission, it did not exercise all the powers of a civil court including summoning, enforcing the attendance, requiring the production of any document, receiving evidence on affidavit and examination of witnesses and documents, it said.
The Commission would consist of a chairperson, who would be a woman, to be nominated by the Government.
It will also have a vice-chairperson and a maximum of five members to be nominated by the Government from amongst persons of ability, integrity and standing who have experience in various fields including law, legislation, trade unionism, management of industry or organisation committed to increase the employment potential for women.
At least one member shall be from amongst persons belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the release said adding, the Member Secretary will be nominated by the government preferably from amongst the women officers of the Indian Administrative Services or the Haryana Civil Service, not below the rank of Joint or Deputy Secretary to the Government.
The term of the Commission would be three years.
The Commission will among other things look into complaints and take suo moto notice of matters relating to deprivation of women’s rights; non-implementation of laws enacted to provide protection to women and also to achieve the objective of equality and development, it said.
The Government may consult the Commission on all major policy matters affecting women, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan