HC orders medical board for Om Prakash Chautala
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday ordered constitution of a medical board to examine the health of former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala, who has been jailed for 10 years for irregularities in appointment of teachers in 2000.
Justice Siddharth Mridul asked the director of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here to set up a medical board and submit to the court a report on Chautala`s health condition within two days.
The chief of the Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) had filed a bail plea and pleaded with the court that his sentence be suspended on the ground that he was "unwell and suffering from various ailments". The court has posted the matter for May 21.
A trial court in the capital had sentenced Chautala, his son Ajay Chautala and eight others to 10 years in jail. One convict was sentenced to five years in jail, while 45 others were each handed out four-year jail terms.
Chautala and the other accused were found guilty of illegally recruiting 3,206 junior basic trained teachers in Haryana in 2000.
Seeking interim bail on health grounds, the plea said Chautala was 70 percent disabled and required constant medical supervision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway