NCPCR to look into cases of rape of minors in Haryana
New Delhi: Concerned over a spurt in incidents of rape of teenaged girls in Haryana, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) on Sunday said it will seek explanation from the state government in each case, including action taken against culprits.
The Commission also said the recent incidents with regard to women in Haryana have emphasised the need to focus on several issues, including the skewed sex ratio in the northern state.
"Ten girls have been raped so far. There have been molestation charges. Our Commission will ask them what has been done in each case. Have all of the accused been arrested? What proceedings have been done?" NCPCR chairperson Shanta Sinha said.
She was reacting to reports on a teenage Dalit girl immolating herself after allegedly being gangraped in Jind district of Haryana.
After allegedly being raped by two youths in Narwana sub division of the district, the shocked girl sprinkled kerosene and set herself afire yesterday, adding to a series of such horrific crimes against women in Haryana during the past one month.
"We feel that in Haryana, it is not the sole issue which is coming to limelight. You have seen the sex ratio as well. There has been only 830/1000 girls," she said.
Sinha also stressed the need for a public awareness campaign in favour of girl children.
"There should also be a fear amongst the ones who indulge in such activities. They should be punished so that the girls are safe," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened