NCPCR to look into cases of rape of minors in Haryana
New Delhi: Concerned over a spurt in incidents of rape of teenaged girls in Haryana, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) on Sunday said it will seek explanation from the state government in each case, including action taken against culprits.
The Commission also said the recent incidents with regard to women in Haryana have emphasised the need to focus on several issues, including the skewed sex ratio in the northern state.
"Ten girls have been raped so far. There have been molestation charges. Our Commission will ask them what has been done in each case. Have all of the accused been arrested? What proceedings have been done?" NCPCR chairperson Shanta Sinha said.
She was reacting to reports on a teenage Dalit girl immolating herself after allegedly being gangraped in Jind district of Haryana.
After allegedly being raped by two youths in Narwana sub division of the district, the shocked girl sprinkled kerosene and set herself afire yesterday, adding to a series of such horrific crimes against women in Haryana during the past one month.
"We feel that in Haryana, it is not the sole issue which is coming to limelight. You have seen the sex ratio as well. There has been only 830/1000 girls," she said.
Sinha also stressed the need for a public awareness campaign in favour of girl children.
"There should also be a fear amongst the ones who indulge in such activities. They should be punished so that the girls are safe," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof