In a first, two-year-old gets artificial windpipe implant
Zee Media Bureau
Peoria, Illinois: In a medical breakthrough, doctors at a hospital in Illinois implanted an artificial trachea into a two-and-half-year-old Korean toddler, Hannah Warren, born without a windpipe.
The artificial windpipe made from plastic fibers and stem cells extracted from the child`s hip bone was implanted on April 9 by an international group of doctors led by Dr Paolo Macchiarini, a specialist in the field of regenerative medicine, in a nine-hour long procedure at Children`s Hospital of Illinois.
Macchiarini, the director of the Advanced Center for Translational Regenerative Medicine at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, said the transplant crosses frontiers by eliminating the need for a human donor and a lifetime of immunosuppressant drugs.
Though windpipe transplant has been performed several times in adults, this was for the first time that a tissue-engineered trachea devoid of any donor cells was implanted in a child.
Hannah Warren was born with tracheal agenesis - a rare and usually fatal birth defect. Born in 2010 in South Korea the child spent the first two-and-a-half years of her life in neonatal intensive care unit in a hospital in Seoul, unable to breathe, swallow, eat or drink on her own.
Early signs indicate the windpipe is working, Hannah`s doctors announced on Tuesday. The child is breathing largely on her own, although through a hole in her neck, not through her mouth yet, a pediatric surgeon at the hospital said.
Only about one in 50,000 children worldwide are born with a windpipe defect or without one and so far no child has lived past 6 with the ailment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it