Just one talk enough for couples not to go for kids?
London: This may sound strange but many couples agree not to have children after only one discussion, and sometimes none at all!
According to researchers from Middlesex University, 40 percent of the childless women they surveyed had either not talked about having children, or had only discussed this once early in their relationship.
“Not having children is obviously a very important decision, and what was interesting from the research was the negligible amount of discussion that couples engaged in - many are agreeing not to have children in one conversation, or in an unspoken way,” said lead researcher Edina Kurdi from Middlesex University.
Kurdi carried an online survey which included responses from 75 British women aged 35 and above who were childless. She interviewed nine of them face-to-face.
The survey asked about discussions the woman had with her current partner about not having children.
She found that 23 of the 63 who responded to the question had decided not to have children after one conversation.
Three others mentioned they had not talked about the issue at all.
“One possible reason that couples did not need to talk about the issue much is that they could accurately sense their partner did not want children from their beliefs and lifestyle,” Kurdi noted.
Very little attention has been paid to the negotiations within romantic relations about not having a family, even though developed countries are facing a general decline in fertility combined with an accelerated rate of childlessness, the researchers added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5