Action to be taken in `phone tapping` during BJP rule: HP CM
Chandigarh: Himachal Pradesh government has decided to take action against all those involved, including service providers, in connection with alleged phone tapping case during the previous BJP regime in the state.
"Action will be taken against all, including officials and service providers, in connection with illegal tapping of 1,201 phones," Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh told media here today.
Singh said if former chief minister Prem Kumar Dhumal was found guilty in the enquiry being conducted by the state vigilance department, the government would file an FIR against him also.
"As per the report of the state Forensic Science Laboratory 1,371 phones were tapped even though the Home Department had given permission for just 170 phones belonging to criminals, smugglers, drug traders and in cases of threat to security," the Chief Minister said.
"All other (1,201) phones were tapped as per the instruction of the DGP on verbal asking of then Chief Minister (Prem Kumar Dhumal)," Singh said, assuring that the inquiry will be completed speedily and he would not allow "the matter to go into limbo."
He said that the conversations allegedly erased by the outgoing BJP government can be retrieved as the state investigating agency has procured the technology required to retrieve erased data.
"In future no illegal phone tapping will be allowed in Himachal Pradesh whose people are peace loving," the CM said.
On being asked whether his phone was among those tapped, Virbhadra alleged, "My number can be in the list. Dhumal paid special attention to me."
"We are investigating the entire issue. FIR will be lodged after completion of the probe against all those found guilty maybe the DGP, former Chief Minister and service provider. Anybody found guilty in the probe will be booked," the Chief Minister said adding if a need arose the help of CBI could be taken.
"It is a very serious matter and the government will take stringent action against the officials involved in illegal phone tapping infringing the right to privacy of individuals and violating the Indian Telegraph Act," Singh said, adding that the alleged phone tapping by CID, Vigilance and Anti-corruption Bureau will be thoroughly probed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues