Centre to fund Himachal monorail projects study
Shimla: The central government is providing financial assistance to Himachal Pradesh for preparing a comprehensive mobility plan for monorail projects in tourists resorts Shimla and Dharamsala, Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath said.
A letter dated January 09 was received from Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh for preparation of a detailed project report (DPR) for monorail projects in Shimla and Dharamsala, Nath said in a reply in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
He said it was conveyed to the state on February 26 that finalisation of comprehensive mobility plan was a pre-requisite before DPR preparation was taken up.
The Ministry of Urban Development is providing financial assistance to the extent of 80 percent of the total cost of preparation of the comprehensive mobility plan, he added.
State Urban Development Minister Sudhir Sharma told a news agency that the monorail projects, the first of its kind in a hilly state, were discussed by the Chief Minister, who met the Union Minister in January.
He said the project in Shimla alone would cost around Rs 5,000 crore.
In Shimla, locals travel mainly by buses of the public transport corporation.
Officials said the monorail service will also connect nearby destinations like Shogi and Sanjauli and offer faster connectivity, besides decongesting roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men