Centre to fund Himachal monorail projects study
Shimla: The central government is providing financial assistance to Himachal Pradesh for preparing a comprehensive mobility plan for monorail projects in tourists resorts Shimla and Dharamsala, Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath said.
A letter dated January 09 was received from Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh for preparation of a detailed project report (DPR) for monorail projects in Shimla and Dharamsala, Nath said in a reply in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
He said it was conveyed to the state on February 26 that finalisation of comprehensive mobility plan was a pre-requisite before DPR preparation was taken up.
The Ministry of Urban Development is providing financial assistance to the extent of 80 percent of the total cost of preparation of the comprehensive mobility plan, he added.
State Urban Development Minister Sudhir Sharma told a news agency that the monorail projects, the first of its kind in a hilly state, were discussed by the Chief Minister, who met the Union Minister in January.
He said the project in Shimla alone would cost around Rs 5,000 crore.
In Shimla, locals travel mainly by buses of the public transport corporation.
Officials said the monorail service will also connect nearby destinations like Shogi and Sanjauli and offer faster connectivity, besides decongesting roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!