Centre to fund Himachal monorail projects study
Shimla: The central government is providing financial assistance to Himachal Pradesh for preparing a comprehensive mobility plan for monorail projects in tourists resorts Shimla and Dharamsala, Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath said.
A letter dated January 09 was received from Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh for preparation of a detailed project report (DPR) for monorail projects in Shimla and Dharamsala, Nath said in a reply in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
He said it was conveyed to the state on February 26 that finalisation of comprehensive mobility plan was a pre-requisite before DPR preparation was taken up.
The Ministry of Urban Development is providing financial assistance to the extent of 80 percent of the total cost of preparation of the comprehensive mobility plan, he added.
State Urban Development Minister Sudhir Sharma told a news agency that the monorail projects, the first of its kind in a hilly state, were discussed by the Chief Minister, who met the Union Minister in January.
He said the project in Shimla alone would cost around Rs 5,000 crore.
In Shimla, locals travel mainly by buses of the public transport corporation.
Officials said the monorail service will also connect nearby destinations like Shogi and Sanjauli and offer faster connectivity, besides decongesting roads.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India