DMRC to study monorail feasibility in Shimla
Shimla: To give a green solution to Shimla`s problem of vehicular pollution and traffic congestion, the government has plans to go for a monorail project, a minister said on Sunday.
The Shimla monorail, the first of its kind in a hilly state, will get a nod from the 0union ministry for urban development if the Delhi Metro Rail Corp (DMRC) clears it.
Urban Development Minister Sudhir Sharma told IANS that the project proposal was discussed with central Minister for Urban Development Kamal Nath by Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh in New Delhi Saturday.
Sharma, who was present at the meeting, said Kamal Nath asked DMRC to carry out a survey and prepare a feasibility report within six months.
The project, which will cost around Rs 5,000 crore, would be funded by the central government, he added.
He said there were plans to start monorail projects in other towns too, including Dharamsala, the abode of the Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
In Shimla, locals travel mainly by public transport buses.
Officials said the monorail service will also connect nearby destinations like Shogi and Sanjauli and offer faster connectivity besides decongesting road traffic.
Rajesh Mehta, former director of the state`s town and country planning department, said an electrified transportation system will help protect the town`s green zones - the only surviving lungs in a concrete jungle.
"It is a solution to Shimla`s chronic problem of vehicular traffic," said Mehta, a Shimla resident.
Even Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari has advocated the need to promote the use of renewable energy and an electrified transportation system to cut consumption of fossil fuel and to decongest roads of Shimla.
Official sources said he had advised his party`s previous government in the state a number of times.
Shimla, the erstwhile summer capital of the British Raj, has several auto-free zones to facilitate unrestricted movement of pedestrians.
The Mall and the historic Ridge, an open space just above the Mall, now a hub of commercial activity, were once `British only` streets meant for strolling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks