Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit
Shimla: Hydropower plants in Himachal Pradesh remained shut Thursday due to high silt level in the Sutlej river, triggering a power crisis in northern states.
The country`s biggest hydropower plant, the 1,500 MW Nathpa Jhakri power project, and Jaypee Karcham Hydro Corp Ltd`s 1,000 MW Karcham Wangtoo Hydroelectric Project - both located in Kinnaur district - were closed, project officials said here.
The silt level in the river, on which the Nathpa Jhakri power project is located, was more than the permissible limit, a Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd (SJVNL) official told a news agency.
He said the silt level, which rose more than 6,000 ppm (parts per million) Wednesday due to incessant rainfall, came down to 5,000 ppm Thursday. "Still generation is not possible as high silt can damage the plant," he added.
SK Uppal, project general manager of Jaypee Group, said only one turbine of 250 MW has been working. Other three turbines have been shut.
But the company`s 300 MW Baspa Hydropower project, located upstream of the Karcham Wangtoo Hydroelectric Project, is working normally.
The SJVNL, a joint venture between the centre and state government, daily generates about 38 million units, and supplies power to Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati, Pimpri Chinchwad seats; Shiv Sena takes early lead in BMC polls