Himachal Pradesh MLA booked for murder, on the run
Shimla: Ahead of the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) meeting on Saturday to elect Himachal Pradesh`s next chief minister, one of the party`s newly-elected legislators has gone underground after being booked in a murder case.
Ram Kumar Chaudhary, a first-time MLA from Doon constituency in Solan district, is one of the four suspects in the murder of a 24-year-old woman in Panchkula in Haryana November 22.
"Police raided his (Chaudhary`s) house in Sandholi (near Baddi) and other places today (Saturday) but he managed to evade arrest. He and other accused have not been joining investigations for quite some time," Superintendent of Police S Arul told a news agency.
Arul said arrest warrants against all the four accused, booked under Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code, were issued on Friday.
The murdered woman`s father Butti Ram had lodged a police complaint alleging Chaudhary was in touch with his daughter.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday directed Haryana Police to expedite the probe.
Congress leaders said Chaudhary had not contacted any senior party leader and was unlikely to attend the CLP meeting in the evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees