Himachal records three low-intensity quakes
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh has recorded three low-intensity quakes in the past 12 hours, an official said here Wednesday morning.
No loss of life or damage to property was reported.
"An earthquake measuring 4.8 on the Richter scale was recorded at 5.34 p.m. Tuesday," an official of the meteorological office here told IANS.
Another earthquake measuring 3.7 on the Richter scale hit at 11.56 p.m., and a third, also of the same intensity was recorded at 5.26 a.m. Wednesday, he said.
The epicentre of all the three quakes was on the border of the districts of Chamba and Lahaul-Spiti, bordering Jammu and Kashmir.
In October 2012 too, the hill state was twice hit by earthquakes of low intensity and the epicentre of both the quakes was on the Chamba and Lahaul-Spiti border.
High-altitude areas of Chamba and the entire Lahaul-Spiti districts are characterised by difficult terrain, fragile mountains, prone to avalanches and landslides. The region also falls in seismic zone-IV, at high risk of quakes, say officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir