HP govt to raise quota of rations for BPL families
Shimla: At least 76 lakh people are benefiting from subsidised foodgrains in Himachal Pradesh and the government will raise the quota of rations for BPL families, a state minister said on Saturday.
"Himachal Pradesh government has decided to raise the quota of ration for BPL families, supplied through Public Distribution System (PDS)," Food and Civil Supplies minister GS Bali said.
He told reporters that this would incur additional burden of Rs 30-35 crore on state exchequer, but the state government was more concerned about the BPL families.
Bali denied media reports about non-availability of ration at PDS shops, and said that two more flying squads would be constituted for inspection.
The minister said that the state government has made a budgetary provision of Rs 175 crore for food subsidy which had been increased by Rs 62 crore to keep the scheme operational.
He said that central government has given approval to the e-ration card project costing worth Rs 14 crore and the scheme would be launched with in next six months.
The e-ration card project would help the state government weed out bogus ration card holders as the subsidy would be transferred directly to the bonafide beneficiary through Adhaar linked bank accounts.
Bali, who also holds the portfolio of transport ministry, said that Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) has decided to add 1,000 new buses to its fleet to facilitate the commuters and 500 buses would be added to the existing fleet by the end of next months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why