HP govt to raise quota of rations for BPL families
Shimla: At least 76 lakh people are benefiting from subsidised foodgrains in Himachal Pradesh and the government will raise the quota of rations for BPL families, a state minister said on Saturday.
"Himachal Pradesh government has decided to raise the quota of ration for BPL families, supplied through Public Distribution System (PDS)," Food and Civil Supplies minister GS Bali said.
He told reporters that this would incur additional burden of Rs 30-35 crore on state exchequer, but the state government was more concerned about the BPL families.
Bali denied media reports about non-availability of ration at PDS shops, and said that two more flying squads would be constituted for inspection.
The minister said that the state government has made a budgetary provision of Rs 175 crore for food subsidy which had been increased by Rs 62 crore to keep the scheme operational.
He said that central government has given approval to the e-ration card project costing worth Rs 14 crore and the scheme would be launched with in next six months.
The e-ration card project would help the state government weed out bogus ration card holders as the subsidy would be transferred directly to the bonafide beneficiary through Adhaar linked bank accounts.
Bali, who also holds the portfolio of transport ministry, said that Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) has decided to add 1,000 new buses to its fleet to facilitate the commuters and 500 buses would be added to the existing fleet by the end of next months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future